Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Welcome to the Dark

This was the first post for As the Crowe Flies last September. I had no followers, and I'm pretty sure no one saw it. But it is September 1st and I'm again looking forward to the coming of the dark~~

As summer comes to an end each year some dread the coming of the cold.  The sun will no longer be bright gold and yellow...it will now contain a shade of blue, and it won't keep us warm.  The dark creeps in earlier, and our minds somehow become darker, too.
 
But as the flowers wilt, something in us comes to life.  We can let the dark, whithered sides of ourselves out again.  We realize that the dread is not for the summer's end, but for the shadows that we all hide. 

Although most of us would never admit to our underground thoughts, we all remember wonderfully shivery nights when we told our deepest, darkest secrets to one another.  Things we would do if we could never get caught, thoughts of revenge plotted on an enemy, or boyfriends we would steal, and possibly give back. 

Thankfully, most of us don't kill our enemies, or steal our neighbor's beautiful diamond necklace, or do anything to get ourselves in very much trouble.  We need to keep up appearances, after all.  How would they feel about all those nasty actions at the country club?  But if we were put in jail for our thoughts, many of us would be put away for a very long time.

Here comes the dark, put out the welcome mat. 

Below is a page from 100 Unfortunate Days:

Day 4

Did you know that all the best people belong to country clubs? If you can afford the $75,000 fee to get in and if you don’t mind people coming to check out your house and if you think it’s okay to post your name in the clubhouse for approval from all the other members and you feel it is obscene to show your shoulders, you will definitely get in and be surrounded by the best people in town. Of course you want your children to rub elbows with other children of wealthy parents, because it is a sign that you are a much better person than all the other people in town who are not in the club. They have a pool and a golf course that you have to pay extra for every time you want to play. All members are expected to eat there at least four times a month—and pay for that too. Because having lots and lots of money is a sign that God loves you. He wants you to live and prosper. But don’t act like a big shot—and don’t do TOO well for yourself because then you will be considered conceited and no one will like you. And why, for God’s sake, if you have so much money, would you live in that tiny house? It doesn’t even have the nicest decorations or a dark red dining room! By the way, your taste is not at all classic, is it? You have a tendency toward the eclectic, don’t you? And you really are such a handful you know. What do you mean you are going to a Junior League function? That does not seem like something you would do at ALL. It sounds like something I would do. See? You’re confusing and hard to handle. Wait—you could have gotten married at the country club and you CHOSE not to? Hmmmm. Really—who was going to sponsor you? And you don’t like to cook? Oh, that is too bad. I went through nine rugs before I finally settled on this one. Oh,—I forgot to tell you—we are redoing the kitchen—again!! I’m so excited! Do you want to come with me and pick out custom made tile?

12 comments:

  1. Ahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!! I love this entry! I do not miss my parents' country club. What a stupid thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After being a member for several years I can say they are over-rated. But the mystique remains. And I have more issues with the one in our neighborhood that I can see from my front window than I care to talk about in a public forum :P
      BUT--I'm glad it made you laugh Red! Not as funny as Slick and Gina--but surely chuckle-worthy.
      XO

      Delete
  2. Country clubs are for snobs.

    And loved the entry before this. So true of me! I used to be rather inventive, and liked to scare the gals I had for sleep-overs. Had my brother knock on a section in a closet on first floor, that was directly below the landing in front of my bedroom door. Someone would open it and no one would be there. I had a large house and they thought it was haunted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that you were such a devil Lorelei!! I wish I was your friend back then--we would have had a BALL torturing everyone :)
      And the bigger the house, the easier the fake-outs, right? You just gave me the best idea for my next post! Halloween is coming and I'll write about all the fun tricks people I know have done. I'll make sure to tell you so you can come and talk about more antics!
      Thanks Lorelei!! XO

      Delete
  3. Great post Pen--reminds me of my father telling me that the guy with the biggest pile wins. I loved my father but he died when he was 60---he had a big pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      What neat advice :)
      Somehow that DOES sound so valid--and I guess everyones pile contains something different. Love the fact that he did not just say 'pile of money'.
      Thanks for popping in Paul! Much appreciated XO

      Delete
  4. I love the Autumn. I love the gradual surrender of summer, how it is so graceful and accepting. Fall is my favorite time of year, and not only because October is Horror Movie Month in my house, either! ;)

    -aniko

    PS You've come a long way in a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aniko :)
      #$% I think I am taking up your tradition of October is Horror Movie Month!! That is one of my fave things ever.
      Fall is lovely.
      The only thing bad is when we have to close the pool :(
      We are die-hards and leave it opened until it is practically impossible to keep all the leaves out.
      Thanks Aniko XO
      I still wish we could all have a pool party before summer is officially over.

      Delete
  5. Bring on the dark, baby. I'm more than ready for it and the coolness of fall and winter.
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW you were going to feel this way Mina :)
      I have another friend just waiting for the shorter days too--and they can't happen soon enough.
      Although I like all the seasons--Halloween time is my favorite.
      Can't wait for the dark and creepy fun to begin. Thinking it would be neat to visit Salem this year.
      And of COURSE you want the coolness of fall and winter~~what else would we expect from a dark romantic?
      XO

      Delete
  6. So, our mutual friend Wendy just tells me TODAY that this is you--very cool, but I expected nothing less ;). I do not now, nor have I ever longed to join a country club--being a guest at one was horror enough. Also, I am in love with your dog. That is all.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes--she is very supportive of my writing career :)
    And thanks! Hope you are doing well.
    And country clubs are, in my humble opinion, over-rated.
    So glad you stopped by!
    XO

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to know what you think. All spam or comments with links will be deleted.